Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. Are you prepared?
To be honest, I’ve never been a big fan of this holiday. I firmly believe Hallmark and Hershey’s basically teamed up and went crazy with marketing schemes that somehow brainwashed consumers into believing that February 14th is a magical day and big gestures must be made to prove one’s love.
HOWEVER… because I do fancy a good greeting card and chocolate has healing powers, I’m willing to conform and support this day. Also, because I do in fact work for a marketing company, I kind of have to believe in the pure marketing genius that is Valentine’s Day. Touché!
It’s not that I don’t believe in love, I do!!! I just think that one day a year to express how you feel about someone isn’t really necessary… if you care, why not express it to them every day? And I think people put so much pressure and emphasis on achieving the perfect date. Perhaps I am a little different and in my hipster ways, I kind of would prefer a not-so-ideal Valentine’s Day celebration this year. No fancy dinner, no massive bouquet of red roses, no teddy-bears holding hearts… but I do think chocolate is necessary!
So here are some basic ideas for an Unconventional Valentine’s Day Date (it is in the middle of the week, so perhaps something low-key and relaxing would actually be perfect!):
- Taco Stand - Grab some cheap tacos!!! Who doesn’t like tacos?
- Good Weather = Good Patio! - If it’s a nice night, just hang out on a patio, enjoy a good drink and some laughter!!!
- Grill Out - Again, if the weather is good, make the most of it and grill some burgers together. No need for reservations or fancy food, just something chill!
- Make A PIZZA!!!! - I don’t care how old you are, it’s always fun to make a pizza yourself! And to be festive, you can even roll out your dough into a heart!
- FRIENDS! - Why not celebrate with the people you love! I know it’s supposedly a day for romance, but I always enjoy having all the people I love in one place! It’s like getting the best of both worlds… but do try to capture at least a moment alone at some point ;)
- A Walk Around the City - I enjoy walking a lot. It’s fun to take in everything and explore a little. I’m learning to appreciate Dallas more this way.
- Art Gallery - There are plenty of free galleries around that you can tour. Everyone can use a little culture in their life!
- Live Show - If music is your forte, see if there are any good shows you can see together. Even if you don’t have the same taste in music, find a good venue!
- Karaoke - Again if you like music… and enjoy a good laugh, why not put on a show yourself! You can even sing a song to your special someone! Just try not to sing out of tune…
- Drive-In Movie - If you must resort to a movie, at least go retro with it! You can even pack a picnic!
So maybe they’re not the most romantic date ideas, but at least you won’t be battling for reservations or waiting hours to get a table. And hey… if you are single, these are great options to do with friends too! Whatever you do and whoever you may be celebrating with, have fun and don’t let the pressure of the Day of Love get the best of you! Because really every day should be filled with love!!!! And if all else fails… you always have chocolate!
I’m really not that cynical and unromantic… I like flowers, mushy stuff, and getting all dolled up for a special date! But quality time probably means more to me than any other gift a person can give. What would be your ideal/non-ideal celebration (with a special someone or a friend)?
(The above design is a little bit nicer and more positive than the original design I had in my head. Perhaps it’s because I was listening to upbeat love songs… you can listen to my Anti-Hipster Love Songs via Spotify to put you in the mood too!)